Life is complicated; grocery shopping doesn’t have to be.
At New Pi, we love food – and we believe it shouldn’t be so confusing.
We know that what’s not in your food can be as important as what is, and we want to make the best choices easy: easy on you, easy on the environment, and easy on the next generation. We are the store where every choice is a good choice.
We do the label-reading – so you don’t have to!
You care about what you eat – and so do we. At New Pioneer Food Co-op, we believe in food integrity. Our sourcing criteria:
Quality and taste – our top priorities
Sourcing products that meet our standards for great taste, quality, health, and sustainability is an ongoing challenge – and pleasure – for New Pioneer purchasers.
Organic and local
We define local as within a 250 mile radius of New Pi, or within the state of Iowa, and we label local items throughout our stores to make them easy to find and support.
New Pioneer always gives preference to organic, locally produced products when other factors are equal and we give local products prime shelf space. Everyone wins when we spend our shopping dollars in our own community.
New Pi understands that what isn’t in food can be as important as what is.
New Pi selects products that comply with the following standards:
✓ No artificial sweeteners, colors, flavors, or preservatives
✓ No trans-fats or high fructose corn syrup
✓ No foods from cloned animals
✓ No irradiated foods
✓ Our seafood, poultry, meat, and dairy are free of added growth hormones, antibiotics, added nitrates, and other chemical additives
✓ We feature grains and grains products that have not been bleached or bromated
✓ Our household and personal care products have been proven safe through non-animal testing
Fair Trade & sustainable practices
- New Pi chooses foods grown or produced in ways that respect and protect our environment and conserve our natural resources.
- We seek products that are produced under fair labor agreements that ensure equitable working conditions and fair compensation.
- We choose meat and dairy products that honor the animal’s natural behaviors and meet humane standards.
- We select body care products that are cruelty-free.
We believe everyone has the right to know:
- Where their food comes from
- Every ingredient in their food
- When foods contain Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)
New Pi's Product Policy:
- We feature and prepare foods that are free of artificial sweeteners, artificial colors, artificial flavors, artificial preservatives, high fructose corn syrup, and trans fats.
- We actively seek out and support sources of certified organically grown foods, locally grown whenever possible.
- We feature seafood, poultry, meat, and dairy that are free of added growth hormones, antibiotics, nitrates, or other chemical additives.
- We highlight household and personal care products that have been proven safe through non-animal testing methods.
- We feature grains and grain products that have not been bleached or bromated.
- We do not knowingly sell meat or dairy products from cloned animals or food that has been irradiated.
- We respect our owners' desire to know what is in their foods. If you wish to choose non-GM (Genetically Modified) foods, we recommend choosing certified organic foods and locally-grown foods from suppliers we know. New Pioneer cannot confirm the status of conventional GM ingredients in the absence of federal GM disclosure laws.