Football fan or not, are you ready for tasty snack ideas to kick off your Super Bowl weekend? We’ve got you covered – and fumble free – no matter what team you’re on. When it comes to the Big Game, food is all part of the experience (we won’t tell anyone if you don't really watch the game ; )
Thanks to Frontier Herb Co-op (based in Norway, Iowa!), you can up your cooking game simply by swapping in their organic spices and herbs, which are so much more flavorful than the standard stuff – you’ll be surprised what a difference it makes! We have their fresh herbs both in bottles or super cheap in our bulk herb and spice aisle (check out our price comparison chart below). We'll set you up to impress with a snack spread where everyone wins!
When you purchase your herbs and spices from New Pi, you're supporting a company that provides clean water and food to thousands of people around the world. Frontier Co-op helps send children to school and establishes sustainable economies in the villages where they source their products. Read about Frontier Co-op's ‘Well Earth’ and sustainability programs at www.frontiercoop.com.
Sweet, Smoky, & Spicy Honey Mustard Slow Cooker Chicken Wings
A finger-lickin’ balance of sweet and tangy is essential to good honey mustard chicken wings, but we take the flavors a step further with the addition of spicy chili powder, savory garlic and onion, and smoked paprika in this slow cooker-friendly recipe.
2 lbs. chicken wings
Frontier sea salt and black pepper, to taste
½ c. Dijon mustard
¼ c. honey
1 t. Frontier Organic Yellow Mustard Seeds
1 t. Frontier Organic Garlic Powder
1 t. Frontier Organic Chili Powder
½ t. Frontier Organic Smoked Paprika
½ t. Frontier Organic Onion Powder
Serve with celery sticks and ranch dressing.
1. Lay the chicken wings on a clean surface and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, bring the Dijon mustard and honey to a boil, stirring the mixture to prevent burning. Once the mustard and honey reach a boil, remove the pan from the heat and add the mustard seeds, garlic, chili, smoked paprika, and onion powder. Whisk the spices into the honey mustard.
3. Pour the honey mustard mixture into a slow cooker. Add the chicken wings over the top. Gently toss the chicken with the honey mustard until the wings are evenly coated. Cook the chicken wings on low for 4 hours or on high for 2 hours.
4. (Optional) For a crispy glaze, remove the chicken wings from the slow cooker after the cooking time is complete. Place the wings and remaining honey mustard from the slow cooker on a large baking sheet. Turn the broiler on high. Cook the wings under the broiler for 3 minutes.
Smoky Chili Con Carne
Classic chili con carne with a smoky, spicy depth from organic smoked paprika, chili powder, oregano, cumin, coriander, and cayenne. Serves 3-4
1 T. olive oil
1 medium red onion, minced
1 bell pepper, minced
1 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb. stew beef, cut into ¼-inch cubes
1 c. ale or water
3 T. Frontier No-Beef Broth Powder
2 c. tomatoes, crushed
1 T. Frontier Organic Smoked Paprika
1 T. Frontier Organic Chili Powder
2 t. Frontier Organic Oregano
1 t. Frontier Organic Cumin
1 t. Frontier Organic Coriander
pinch Frontier Organic Cayenne
1. In a stockpot over medium-low heat, heat olive oil. Add minced red onions, peppers, and jalapeños. Cook for 6-8 minutes, until onions are translucent and fragrant. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
2. Add beef and cook, stirring frequently, for 4-5 minutes, until meat is browning.
3. In a small bowl, combine ale or water and beef broth. Whisk.
4. Pour liquid into pot, then add tomatoes and spices. Stir until well combined. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and let simmer for 60-90 minutes. Taste and add additional spices if desired.
Vegan Spicy Nacho Cheese Sauce
Dairy-free and less indulgent than what smothers traditional nachos, this spicy vegan cheese sauce is just as creamy and addictive.
1 T. non-dairy margarine
1 T. all-purpose flour (or sweet rice flour, from an ethnic grocery)
¼ c. Frontier Nutritional Yeast Powder
¾ c. unsweetened, non-flavored almond milk
½ t. Frontier Organic Garlic Powder
½ t. Frontier Organic Ground Mustard Seed
¼ t. Frontier Organic Onion Powder
¼ t. Frontier Organic Black Pepper
¼ t. Frontier Organic Chili Powder
For nachos, drizzle over a bowl of tortilla chips, and add your favorite toppings such as black beans, diced tomatoes, avocado, salsa, cilantro, bell pepper, and onions.
1. In a saucepan, melt the margarine over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Next, add in nutritional yeast and ¼ cup of the milk. Whisk until the mixture is smooth.
2. Pour in remaining ½ cup milk and add the spices. Continue to whisk and cook over medium-low heat until the cheese sauce has thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
Creamy Crudité Dip
This mild dip partners well with veggies and spicy breads (like flatbread wedges). For a dip with more kick, add a tablespoon of prepared horseradish.
4 oz. cream cheese
½ c. cottage cheese
1 T. Frontier Organic Parsley
1 t. Frontier Organic Dill
1 t. Frontier Organic Thyme
¼ t. Frontier Organic Mustard Powder
⅛ t. Frontier Organic White Pepper
Simply combine all ingredients together in a food processor or blender. Chill for several hours before serving.